The Karnataka State Pollution Control Board for Prevention and Control of Water Pollution was constituted by the Government of Karnataka on The Twenty First of September Nineteen Seventy Four (21.9.1974) in pursuance of the Water (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act, 1974 . The Water Act will provide for the prevention and control of water pollution and maintaining or restoring of wholesomeness of water. After the enactment of the Air (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act, 1981 the enforcing responsibility was entrusted to the above Board. As such, the Board was later renamed as the Karnataka State Pollution Control Board in 1985 . The Air (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act, 1981 is an enactment to provide for prevention , control and abatement of air pollution.
Apart from the above said Acts, the Board is also enforcing the following Acts & Rules :
- The Water (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Cess Act, 1977, and as amended from time to time.
- The Water (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Cess Rules, 1978.
- The following Rules and Notifications framed under Environment (Protection) Act, 1986 :
- Hazardous Waste (Management, Handling and Transboundary Movement) Rules, 2008.
- Environmental Impact Assessment Notification, 2006.
- Bio-Medical Waste (Management & Handling) Rules, 1998, and Amendment Rules 2000.
- Plastic Waste (Management & Handling) Rules, 2011.
- The Noise Pollution (Regulation & Control) Rules, 2000.
- Municipal Solid Wastes (Management & Handling) Rules, 2000.
- E-waste (Management and Handling) Rules 2011
- Batteries (Management and Handling) Rules, 2001
- The Public Liability Insurance Act, 1991.